New York, USA. The Fondazione PROCLADE Internazionale ONLUS – ONG (FPI) (Claretian Presence at the United Nations) receives accreditation from the United Nations Environment Assembly of the United Nations Environment Programme.
The United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) communicated on May 27, 2021 to Fr. Artur Teixeira, CMF, President of Fondazione Proclade Internazionale, that,
After careful evaluation and consideration of the documents and information provided by you, I am pleased to inform you that Fondazione Proclade Internazionale has received accreditation as an observer to the governing body of the United Nations Environment Programme, renamed the United Nations Environment Assembly, pursuant to General Assembly Resolution 67/251 of 13 March 2013. Your organization will immediately receive an invitation as an observer to all meetings and public sessions of the United Nations Environment Assembly and its subsidiary bodies […]
UNEP, established in 1972, is the primary agency which coordinates environmental activities within the United Nations. UNEP has its headquarters in Nairobi, Kenya. The United Nations Environment Assembly (UNEA) is UNEP’s governing body. It was Created in 2012 to replace the Governing Council, it currently has 193 members and meets every two years.
This accreditation is the main entry point for Major Groups and Stakeholders into the policy dialogue at UNEP. In the process leading up to the UNEP United Nations Environment Assembly sessions, accredited organizations have the opportunity to:
- Participate in the Regional Consultation Meeting to be held in their region in preparation for the Assembly.
- Contribute to the preparation of the Regional Civil Society Statements to UNEP and the Assembly.
- Receive the unpublished working documents of the United Nations Environment Assembly at the same time as the Committee of Permanent Representatives (CPR).
- Submit written contributions to these unedited working papers to the UN Environment Secretariat for distribution to governments through the Permanent Representatives Committee (PRC).
- Participate in public meetings of the PRC, the Assembly and the Global Forum of Major Groups and Stakeholders, a meeting associated with the UN Environment Assembly (including by teleconference or videoconference).
As an accredited organization, we are expected to submit a report of our activities to UNEP every 4 years from the date of accreditation.
This accreditation is the fruit of almost two years of efforts and in turn invites us to increase our activities and efforts for the protection of nature and the environment in the countries where the Claretian mission is present. Furthermore, it is an invitation to initiate or continue ecological actions and from a prophetic attitude to join forces with local governments, other religious congregations, and NGOs to promote the care of our common home.
Likewise, this accreditation is a call to encourage young people to participate in the Claretian youth movement for the care of the planet, to continue accompanying the indigenous peoples in the defense of their territories and protection of mother earth.
With this accreditation, the delegation of PROCLADE INTERNATIONAL will be able to participate in the 5th United Nations Environment Assembly (UNEA5) in February 2022 as official observers.
Undoubtedly, this is good news for the Claretian Missionaries and a great challenge for the Claretian commitment in the protection and promotion of the environment and climate action.